All incoming, first-year students at the University of Illinois are required to take an orientation course. For students in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Access and Achievement Program (AAP), LAS 112: First Year College Success fulfills the orientation-course requirement.
Learn about life at Illinois
LAS 112 is a one-credit, graded course designed to assist you in succeeding at Illinois. These small-group classes meet weekly and are led by upper-level AAP students.
In LAS 112, you'll explore potential majors while gaining information about the university and the College of LAS. You'll also gain a mentor through student-interns and connect with fellow AAP students as you navigate life as a first-year student.
In LAS 112, you will:
- learn skills to successfully transition to college
- have immediate access to a peer mentor who can answer your many questions about your new life as an Illinois student
- learn about important and valuable campus resources
- explore possible majors
- enjoy a small classroom environment and meet other people who may become life-long friends
- learn about the values of the College of LAS